Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Three successful Slackware 12 installs

Two of my machines used to run Fedora Core 8. One is a Compaq laptop 32 bit system, the other is an AMD 64bit (non dual core) chip. I had quite a few problem with Fedora, as I stated in KPLUG emails between myself and Carl. When I started with Linux, my first distribution was Slackware ( 3.5 I think). I decided to try the latest (Slackware 12) on both of these machines and install it on my Mothers HP laptop.

Slackware still has the same text install, partitioning the disks is still done manually before setup is run. Although, after it installed and rebooted, I was anticipating a lot of manual configuration with the sound cards and video. To my amazement I only had to run alsaconf to configure my sound card on both machines, my laptop has an ATI video card which required no extra configuration.
The NVIDIA card in my Moms laptop wouldn't work with the standard VESA driver or nv but it did find the NVIDIA card on my desktop. I downloaded/installed the drivers from nvidia and added nvidia into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and X came up. I did run into the disappearing mouse cursor on both machines that have the NVIDIA card, but adding Option "HWCursor" "Off" brought the cursor back and adding under input device:

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

allowed me to use the middle scroll button on all three machines. My MP3s play, and Amarok doesn't lock up my system anymore. Not as much configuration as I thought I'd have to do, or as much as I used to do with older versions.

I have a DLink DWL-G122 wireless USB device, I don't use it at home anymore, but for the December meeting, I wanted to have wireless on my laptop. I searched for the card model # and the REV B1 and found open source drivers for Linux. It was a painless installation, I loaded the module and the light on my NIC came on. I don't have access to a wireless network at the moment, so I'll have to wait until the meeting to see if/how well it works on a network.

CDRoms, USB drives and other removable devices have to be manually mounted, which is something I'm used to with Slackware, until I figure out how to set it to auto-mount when inserted. I did have a little trouble with the HAL daemon using all my CPU and grinding my system to a halt on my laptop. I stopped the daemon and took the executable flag off the rc script and the problem has stopped. Something I need to look into though.

I haven't yet tried:
USB HP Scanner (It's a few years old 3400 I think, it worked with Fedora)
Built in USB Card Reader (Desktop)
2 Digital Cameras (one Kodak 3600 one HP)
HP Photo Printer (can't remember the model)
Logitech USB web cam Quick cam I believe

We also have 2 printers, one older HP laserjet BW and I have an HP color laserjet 2600n, both work great with Slack.

No comments: