Monday, December 3, 2007

Even more computer stuff

I hooked up my new DSL modem, it has PPPOE in the modem, plugged it into my switch, hooked my new server into the switch and everything seemed to work well. I've totally changed my network, rather than going through one computer to get to the net, we all go through the modem. I had to change IP#s on everyone's machine, my internal network was 192.168.1 but my modem is 192.168.0 which is no biggie, easy to do.

I can't run my home webserver this way, but my torrents are a lot faster since there is no firewall. I'm debating on just leaving it this way, or setting up a router just after the modem to send all web traffic to the one machine. But, on the other hand, I could just run an intranet web server instead. I also can't ssh into my machines at home...I'm not sure if that's all that important either.

Another thing I'd like to do is setup a SANs, a hard drive (networkable) enclosure and put a few HDs in there to store stuff. I have 2 computers as file servers right now. I could do away with both of them if I get one of those. I don't want a USB drive, I want all the files accessable from any computer on my network.

No comments: