Tuesday, January 29, 2008

1968 Mustang

When I graduated High School in 1987 my Mom bought me a 1968 Mustang. Most of my friends were getting brand new cars, but we all knew that I got the best graduation present of all of us. Well, I still have her. A little info: 302cu, 4bbl Holley carb, custom exhaust, custom stereo, deluxe interior that includes a tilting steering wheel, floor and overhead console with map lights, disc brakes, turquoise interior is stock.




















A few years ago I rehupolstered her. The seats were ripped to shreds, the carpet was gone except for underneath the seats. The carpet underlayment was gone. I had my feet on metal basically. So I decided to rehupolster the car myself. I went through my Mustang catalongs from Virginia Mustang, National Parts Depot and CJ Pony Parts Most everything came from Virginia Mustang, but I did have to order a few things from the other two places.









Some of the things I replaced:
  • Seatbelts
  • Seats and foam
  • carpet and underlayment
  • dash pad
  • instrument bezel
  • package tray
  • Door panels
  • arm rests
It took me 2-1/2 months to finish most of it. I still have a few things to do, like fix the backseat panels and get a new package tray. I tried to cover a cardboard one with vinyl fabric but it didn't work out the way I had planned (too bulky) but now they sell them covered.
I also stripped the rust off the seats and sprayed them with rustoleum or rubberized underspray along with the floor pans.


















































About a year later, I bought new rims and tires from CJ Pony parts. I got 15" MAG wheels R7 They look a lot better than the 66 hubcaps that were on there.

















I also changed out the mufflers to a ultra-loud exhaust (already had hedders). I'm hoping to add bigger tailpipes when I get my tax refund check this year. They're 2-1/2" right now, I'm hoping to go to 4" with turn down tail pipes under the car to maximize the sound. I also added a custom stereo from Custom Autosound with two 12" subwoofers and a 500W power amp. The subwoofers are mounted on a board which is custom made to fit just behind my backseat and the power amp is mounted in the trunk. I also splurged and bought a 10 disc CD changer to bring me into the 21st century =P

No comments: